Sunday, September 18, 2011

Only At Night


A wonderful photography experiment turned out amazingly well. I greatly appreciate the help I had while doing this.

What gave me the idea for this experiment were a few pictures I took at night while I was waiting around Thursday night at Wheelers Landing Marina. Who thought the Saginaw River could look so good. It might only be at night.



 The next night we walked to the park across the street and I used the concept of slowing down the shutter speed on my camera to capture light even though it is pitch black outside. Using my tripod to make sure my camera is steady so it doesn’t turn out really blurry, I came out with a few really cool pictures.




After these pictures we went back out the night after and took a lot more pictures only this time I decided to buy some glow sticks from Michaels for a dollar.


We also went to one of the bridges to capture the lights of the cars passing by and some of the lights across the river.


I think all these pictures turned out really well and I'll probably use this technique a lot more often. It was also really fun doing it. Going for walks at night is extremely peaceful. Hopefully I'll come up with a new idea for an experiment next weekend. If anyone else has any ideas or photography experience, input would be very helpful.

3 comments:

  1. What type of camera did you use an SLR? These are really cool photos! I teach yearbook at teh high school so I work with photography a lot. Very interested to see what you come up with next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are simply incredible!! your soo talented! you should share your secret on how to get those perfect pictures. i still get confused on how to get words and whatnot when taking such pictures.... amazing though:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use a Sony a350. To get the affect of the light movement I set my camera to the "S" setting which stands for shutter priority. Turn the shutter speed down really slow and BAM! Just paint a picture using whatever light you have.

    ReplyDelete